Thursday, March 1, 2018

Slice of Life — March 1: A Tribute to a Fellow Slicer

As the calendar turns from February to March, my thoughts shift to longer periods of daylight, warmer weather, and the approaching arrival of spring break. For the last five years, March 1st has also meant the beginning of a Slice of Life.

It’s admittedly been a challenge to write for 31 days in the past. Finding new ideas, carving out the time in a busy schedule, and dealing with adjustments such as a new baby have made “slicing” each day during the month of March a daunting task. It’s also been rewarding, fun, and empowering, especially as I share the journey with my students and colleagues.

This March, a familiar face is missing from our WCMS Slice of Life family. I can’t help but wonder, as the calendar page turns to March 1st, if Miss Collins began her fifth year of this challenge. Miss Collins was largely responsible for bringing a Slice of Life to our school. When she approached me about the idea, it seemed so easy. I was more concerned about setting up a blog than I was about writing for 31 straight days. Little did I know that I would struggle, feel like giving up, question why I was doing this, and then get inspired again throughout that first year five Marches ago. I still remember Miss Collins grinning as she asked me if I would ever let her share another idea as we shared with one another how difficult it was to write that first year. I also remember her asking me if I would join in again the next year, and the next, and the year after that. Each year I said yes, which brings me to a Slice of Life 2018.

So Miss Collins, this post is for you. Thank you for inspiring me, encouraging me, and opening my eyes and the eyes of so many others to the power of the written word. You would be proud to know that what you started with less than 100 students and a few teachers now includes almost 350 students and 21 staff members. And just so you know, I might just check your blog to see if you’ll be joining us.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, this made me cry!! -sad sigh- Thank you so much for updating me on the wonderful momentum you all have continued!! I can't believe we are at year 5...what a journey. Sure missing all my fellow Cardinal slicers and the writing community you have there...

    It feels a little lonely up here, but I found one other slicer in my district. I've read her blog for years and she found me yesterday based on what I wrote. She is an ELL teacher, too! :)

    Unfortunately, my old blog locked me out before I could transfer ownership, so my new blog is mscollins223.blogspot.com. Come and stop by, and I'll be checking up on you all, too!

    Lots of love from Indy and cheers to YEAR 5! Go WCMS!!!

    --Katy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate hearing how SOL got started because I hadn't heard the story! I never felt like I had enough time to write for 31 days so I never signed up until this year. I am glad I did as I am having fun with it...until I drove home from the fundraiser, exhausted, and still had to write my blog. It was 11:00 on Friday night and I just wanted to go to bed...even without washing off the oriental lily face painting that Abbi painted on my face. "Who cares", I said!!! I sat down and wrote my blog, which I found to be very bazaar after reading it the next day, but "Who Cares" I say again, because I DID IT!!!! I too miss Katy Collins very much and am so glad to read her response above. Even though she is 12 hours away, ii makes me feel like she is still very much apart of something special.

    ReplyDelete