Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Slice of Life — March 13: A Childhood Favorite

Today was a crazy day and by the time it was over, I was exhausted. My husband had church tonight, so I decided to reward myself with take-out from my favorite Chinese restaurant, Bamboo Garden. I know a lot of people who wouldn’t say this is their favorite place for Chinese. For me, part of the appeal is the fact that I grew up eating at Bamboo Garden. I remember when it used to be a tiny restaurant that looked like a converted fast food place. It then was replaced with a new and much bigger restaurant that remains today. As a kid, it was one of the few nice restaurants in Carthage, the town where I grew up. I suppose having eaten there so much as a kid and teenager is how I developed my love and “taste” for this particular restaurant. So, sometimes, when I am craving Chinese, or when it’s been a bad day, I make the drive to Carthage for some take-out from my childhood favorite.

2 comments:

  1. I get this. When my folks moved to St. Louis I had a friend who grew up there and raved about Imo's pizza. I never did figure out what was so great about it, I've had much better pizza in my life. But for her it was a taste of home. I think we all have those "comforts." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember there not being ANY Chinese restaurants when I was a kid. The first one I remember is Diamond Head in Joplin. Now that I've had several varieties of Chinese, looking back, Diamond Head was pretty pathetic. After we discovered Bamboo Garden, we would make a special trip to Carthage every couple of months or so to eat at Bamboo Garden! I took Gracie there one night after picking her up from their step-mom's and she ate it, but Lotus in Pittsburg is probably her all-time favorite since she could ask for "wice with juice on it"!! I hope you enjoyed your meal and caught a second wind!!

    ReplyDelete