Friday, March 30, 2018

Slice of Life — March 30: Visiting Mema

Tonight we went and visited my grandma, better known to her great grandkids as Mema. She’s 94 years old and has 28 great grandkids with number 29 on the way. As I watched her play with Wesley tonight, I couldn’t help but think of some of my favorite memories with my Grandma. Here are a few:

• The time she tried to order a dozen “big cookies” for my brother and me at Hardee’s, but finally settled on half a dozen (their cookies were huge, which she didn’t realize, and my brother and I could barely eat one)
• Playing in her backyard, having walnut fights and hiding in the drainage ditch with my cousins
• Marking our heights in the groove in the paneling in the hallway
• Superman capes made out of tea towels and clothespins
• Walking with her to the IGA grocery store and stopping at 7-11 for a Slurpee on the way home
• The smell of vinegar when she was making pickles
• Christmas morning when all of us opened all our gifts at Grandma and Grandpa’s house
• Singing an alphabet song passed down by my mom and her siblings that we knew drove Grandma crazy
• Going to Vacation Bible School at Grandma’s church
• Playing cards and dominoes at the dining room table
• Imitating my Grandpa by jokingly shaking the ice in our glasses to let Grandma know we needed more to drink

I love her so much and am so thankful for the wonderful example she and my grandpa set for our family. They truly have created a tremendous legacy and I am so blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment