Saturday, March 3, 2018

Slice of Life — March 3: Ahh, Sleep

This last week was long, busy, and exhausting. Add being pregnant and having a cold to the mix, and the week was downright difficult. I struggled through most of the week, feeling like my head was in a fog and with weary eyes from a lack of sleep due to a combination of not feeling well and a mind swimming with what seemed like a million obligations at work. By the time Friday night rolled around, I was spent and was ready to crawl into bed and leave the past week behind. After falling asleep around 11:00, I awoke at 1:30 to my son coughing, clearly dealing with his own congestion that he likely contracted from me. Knowing he likely wouldn’t fall back asleep on his own or laying flat in his bed, I sat in the recliner and he and I fell back asleep. My sleep wasn’t the most restful due to Wesley’s restlessness and at 4:00, feeling that he had finally settled into a deep sleep, I carefully carried him to his bed. I comforted myself with the hope that he would sleep later due to a later bed time and the fact he awoke during the night. At 6:30, however, I awoke to his cries, knowing a morning of sleeping in was not in the cards.

I suppose last night was a good reminder of what is to come with a new baby on the way. It’s time to get used to waking in the night and working through the week with a foggy mind from being tired. Until then, however, I’m going to enjoy the nights of uninterrupted sleep and when I don’t, I’ll be thankful for nap time.

No comments:

Post a Comment