Thursday, March 15, 2018

Slice of Life — March 15: Spring Cleaning

It’s confession time.

I hate cleaning.

Everything about it annoys me from the endless time it seems to take to pick everything up to the number of cleaners and rags it takes to clean the multiple surfaces in my home. When I am done cleaning and finally sit down to enjoy the calmness and tidiness of my home, I almost immediately am sidetracked by the thought that the neatness and cleanliness won’t last. In a few days piles will need picked up, dust bunnies will begin to reappear, and footprints will begin to make their way across my once freshly mopped floor.

Did I mention that I hate cleaning?

Given this feeling, I surprised myself when I decided to go to school tonight to clean my office. The pile on the corner of my desk seemed to be growing exponentially and the clutter was simply driving me crazy. Reluctantly, I made myself go to school, shut my door, turned on some music, and started cleaning. I shredded, threw away, organized, and filed a mountain of papers. I cleared things out of my office that didn’t belong and packed a box full of coffee cups and odds and ends that actually belonged at home.

I hate cleaning, but I felt as though a certain weight had been lifted as I shut my office door and carried that box to my car, leaving behind a more organized and less cluttered space. Did I enjoy cleaning?  No. Would I have rather done almost anything else this evening?  Yes. But, one thing is certain — I can go to bed tonight knowing that I will walk in to a clean office in the morning.

1 comment:

  1. I completely understand when it comes to cleaning. Before I had kids, my house was spotless...I did all the cleaning on Thursday so I wouldn't be bothered on the weekend. Once I had kids, the cleaning never stopped...and sometimes never started because I felt the same way...it is just going to be a mess in a few days...or in five minutes! I'll never forget how Franklin taught Gracie to pick up her toys...I wish I would have sent the other three there!! It was the best feeling to sit back and watch her pick up after herself without being asked...the other three never picked up on her cues!

    ReplyDelete