Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Slice of Life: March 8 -- Impeccable Timing

As I mentioned yesterday, it's been a rough couple of weeks.  Yesterday I wrote about a friend who spoke truth into my life when I needed it most.  Today, it was God's truth that spoke to me.

Wednesdays are notoriously difficult days at school.  I'm not sure why "hump" day is quite so bumpy.  What I do know, is that most Wednesdays leave me feeling exhausted.  It's the day of the week I would most like to come home, relax, curl up on the couch, spend time with my family, and go to bed early.  Instead, Wednesday evenings are reserved for Bible study at church.

I have to admit that many Wednesdays I fight the urge to stay home, justifying that desire by lamenting about my difficult day.  However, it's then that I realize that church is the exact place I need to be when I feel exhausted and at my wit's end.

This Wednesday was no different.  It was a busy, exhausting day.  Not only did I have church, but I also hadn't completed my homework for church.  When I woke up this morning, the first thing I thought of was my homework, and then I mentally ran through my day, realizing there would be little if any time to get it done before or after school.  Nonetheless, I decided to get done what I could and go to church anyway.

After school I had to take my son to the doctor for a follow-up appointment.  Feeling rushed and a little frantic, I was surprised when he fell asleep in the car on the way home.  I decided to take advantage of the opportunity and the nice day to pull over, park my car, roll down the window, and work on my homework while Wesley napped in his car seat.

As I began working, I immediately knew that I was doing exactly what I was supposed to be doing at the exact moment I needed to be doing it.  The words on the page of my Bible study jumped off the page at me.  The very thing I had been struggling with and had talked about with my friend yesterday was staring at me in the pages of the book.  Had I completed my homework three days ago (like I should have) or this morning before my day began, I'm not sure I would have seen the words the same, nor would they have pierced my heart like they did tonight.

God's timing is impeccable.  It was still a tough Wednesday, but I'm thankful that God's promises are true no matter what the day brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment