Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Slice of Life: March 7 -- The Value of a True Friend

Today was a tough day.  Work was stressful, there didn't seem to be enough hours in the day, and I was feeling a little discouraged.  It's honestly been a rough few weeks, and I was feeling pretty frustrated and emotional after a day spent putting out fires and feeling less than effective.

At the end of the day, I sat down with a friend, venting about my day, lamenting about the past few weeks, and opening up about my frustrations.  It was in that moment that my friend was honest with me, speaking truth to me not just about my day or my rough few weeks, but about my feelings and my fears.  They were words I needed to hear, spoken at just the right moment, and offered out of genuine care, concern, and love.

I didn't sit down and intend to open up about my feelings.  If I'm being honest, I really just wanted to complain about a tough day.  Instead, my friend offered me a new perspective, made me think just a little differently, offered me a needed dose of encouragement, and above all, reminded me that my feelings matter.

Today I was reminded that having a friend you can count on is truly a blessing.  She was a bright spot in an otherwise cloudy day.  For that, and for all the other days she has and will be there for me, I am thankful.

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to this! True friends can be hard to find sometimes, but when you find them they are priceless. It's nice to have that person that truly listens, but then offers some encouragement to keep you going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing! While it does feel good at the time to vent our frustrations, such wisdom from a friend helps the good feeling to last on and on. :)

    ReplyDelete