Monday, March 9, 2015

Slice of Life: March 9 -- To Do Lists

I am a list maker.  Visit my office, and you're bound to find a to do list scribbled on a Post-It note, written on a notecard, or jotted on a yellow notepad.

My list-making has evolved over time.  I used to make huge lists of everything I could think of that needed to be done.  My list would fill two columns of a large notepad, often leaving me feeling overwhelmed and unsure where to begin.  I was even guilty of writing down things I had already done just so I could cross them off my list.  There was some sort of validation in seeing that line drawn through an item or a checkmark placed next to something on my list.  Despite those feelings of success, the huge list was not productive, as I often focused on all the things that hadn't been crossed off rather than acknowledging all that had.

As a result, I decided to start making smaller lists.  Now, I make a list of the things I want to accomplish each day.  My list is considerably shorter, and I often try to keep it to three to five items.  Somedays, everything gets crossed off.  Other days, I leave work with the complete list still intact.  Honestly, those are some of my busiest days -- the days when everything else vies for my attention, leaving my list undisturbed.  These are some of my most frustrating days, when I feel like I was busy all day but having nothing to truly show for it.

That's when I have to remind myself that the list will wait.  The tasks will still be there tomorrow and if they have to be done today, I can find a way to make it happen.  I've learned to do a better job prioritizing and making decisions that allow me to focus on what's most important.

As I sit at my kitchen counter typing this, I can't help but notice the notecard next to my laptop.  It contains a list of everything I wanted to get done today.  Three items remain on the list, staring at me and reminding me I didn't accomplish all I wanted.  However, for today, it's okay.  The three items that are left can wait.  They don't have to be done today and I can successfully check them off in he morning.

After all, I am sure there will be plenty of other items to add to the list tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I make lists too. It keeps me productive. There are plenty of days in which I don't make any lists...and I am lazy...but on the BUSY days.....sometimes the lists make those days feel even more busy.

    ReplyDelete