Sunday, March 8, 2015

Slice of Life: March 8 -- Worry is Like a Rocking Chair...

It's confession time.  I am a worrier.  Not just a little bit of a worrier.  I am a wake up in the middle of the night, can't go back to sleep worrier.  I worry about things that have already happened, things that might happen, and unfortunately, even things that I know will likely never happen.  Trust me, being a worrier is not one of my finer qualities.

Here lately, I have begun to realize the impact of my worrying and the fact that it does little to help any situation.  Someone once told me, "Worrying is like a rocking chair.  It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere."  Oh, what a true statement.  Now, if I could only remember that statement and put it into practice in my own life.

So this weekend, I made the decision to try to tackle my worrying habit.  Like any habit, I know it will be hard to break, but I have made the commitment to get better.  I have vowed to remember to let go of the little things, especially the insignificant, trivial details that can consume my worries.  I have vowed to do something about the things I can change, taking action rather than hoping that worrying will solve my problems.  And, I am going to do my best to remember that worrying doesn't change anything, except, maybe, the amount of sleep I get each night.


2 comments:

  1. Oh, I like the comparison of worry to a rocking chair. How true is that? Your confession is your first step to curbing that worry habit. Good luck on your worry free endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a bit of a worrier too. Hearing that you're a worrier and that you're working towards kicking that habit a bit helps me get inspired to curb all my worrying and lets me know that I'm not the only compulsive worrier.

    ReplyDelete