Monday, March 2, 2015

Slice of Life: March 2 -- Go FISH!

Go fish.  No, it's not a card game you play with your friends.  It doesn't require a fishing pole and bait.  It's an attitude, a way of living, and a desire to make the most of each day.

The FISH Philosophy is all about giving your best and getting the best out of others.  It's based on the work of the employees of the Pike's Place Fish Market in Seattle, Washington.  Looking to find a way to transform their mundane and sometimes irritating job into one that was fun, rewarding, and meaningful, the workers at Pike's Place created a philosophy centered around fish (literally).  They throw fish to customers, banter back and forth with one another, and manage to find joy in a job that many might find less than exciting.  Their entire work environment and even the customers they serve have been transformed by the powerful impact of four simple principles that have come to be known as the FISH Philosophy: Play, Choose Your Attitude, Make Someone's Day, and Be There.

Simple as they may seem, these four principles have had a profound impact on the Pike's Place Fish Market and have become a model for other businesses and organizations that wish to improve their climate and the morale of their employees.  The FISH Philosophy, however, is more than a business model.  It's a way of life that anyone can prescribe to in order to improve their outlook and make the most of each and every situation.

As teachers and staff members, we have been applying the FISH Philosophy this school year in our interactions as adults.  My challenge to you is to begin to recognize and apply these principles in your own life as students.  You have the ability to have a profound impact on others and the FISH Philosophy will give you the tools to make a difference.

Consider these four principles and how you can implement them in your own life:

Principle #1. Play
Find ways to have fun each day.  Granted, not everything we have to do each day is fun.  We all have responsibilities that would certainly not be classified as "fun."  Folding laundry, for example, is one of my responsibilities at home, but it's definitely not something I do for enjoyment.  It's a required task.  There are, however, things I can do each day to have fun.  I can laugh with a friend.  I can joke with a co-worker.  I can do silly things like sing along with the radio in my car (even if my singing is completely off key).  I can look for ways to have fun, even when I am doing things that aren't necessarily fun (that takes me to Principle #2).

Principle #2: Choose Your Attitude
Each day I have an opportunity to choose my attitude.  While I can't always choose my circumstances, I can choose how I respond to them.  Maybe my alarm didn't go off and I was late to school.  Perhaps I spilled my coffee on the way to work.  Maybe I feel tired or sick or irritated.  In each case I can choose my attitude.  I can choose to be grumpy and let those circumstances ruin my day, or I can choose to be positive and make the most of a difficult situation.  While I may not be able to choose my circumstances, I can choose my attitude.  It's a choice I have to make each day.  My attitude impacts others whether I recognize it or not.  Choosing a positive attitude not only improves my day, but can help others who may be going through a difficult situation themselves.

Principle #3: Make Someone's Day
This morning a Sonic drink landed on my desk.  Later, I received a gift from a teacher that made me smile.  This afternoon I received a kind note from a colleague.  This evening, I had dinner with some of my best friends.  What did each of these gestures or moments have in common?  They all made my day better.  Sometimes it's the simple things we do that make someone feel appreciated, loved, valued, and affirmed.  Sometimes it's a kind word or deed that makes the difference.  Either way, find a way to make someone's day.  Tell someone how much you appreciate them.  Do something kind for a classmate or teacher.  Smile and say hello to someone you pass in the hall.  It may not seem like much, but to someone else, you might have just made their day.

Principle #4: Be There
There are people in my life that I count on when I need encouragement or a listening ear.  These are the people who I know will be there for me.  They may not be able to solve my problems, but they make me feel better just by being there when I need them.  In much the same way, I have people that count on me each day.  Students, teachers, staff members, my family, friends -- these are people who rely on me.  These are the people who need me to be there for them in much the same way they are there for me.  I encourage you to be a good friend.  Be there for a new student in your class who may need some help in their new school.  Look for the person sitting by themselves in the cafeteria.  Recognize when your teacher may not be feeling well and be a kind and encouraging student for them.  Be there for someone and find someone who can be there for you.

The four principles of the FISH Philosophy are simple yet profound.  They have made a difference in my life.  Now it's up to you.  Go fish!


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder! I love this philosophy. I forget about how simple it is....but how powerful it can be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the FISH philosophy and how you have encouraged us all this year to use this philosophy to keep in mind the important parts of doing what we do. Go fish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the FISH philosophy and how you have encouraged us all this year to use this philosophy to keep in mind the important parts of doing what we do. Go fish!

    ReplyDelete