Friday, March 6, 2015

Slice of Life: March 6 -- Ten Things You Might Not Know About Me

Tonight for your reading pleasure, here are ten random things you might not know about me:

1.  I am a perfectionist yet often have messy drawers and unorganized closets.
It's true.  In most areas of my life, I crave perfection.  I strive to be the best, do the best, and hate making mistakes.  I like things done a certain way and tend to function best when I have a routine.  I like for my work to be of top quality.  This blog is a perfect example of my desire for perfection.  I agonize over each entry, searching for the perfect topic, the perfect words, the perfect post. 

Open my desk drawers, walk in my kitchen pantry, or take a peek at my spare bedroom closet and you might be shocked.  This perfectionist has messy drawers, an unorganized pantry, and a spare closet that is bursting at the seams with random items that rarely if ever get used. 

2.  I love coffee.
I love drinking coffee.  My morning isn't quite right until I've had a cup.  I love the taste of the piping hot liquid that's been perfected with just the right amount of cream.  Oddly enough, I can go without it on the weekends and during the summer, but during the school week, it's part of my morning routine.

3.  I am NOT a morning person.
I absolutely hate getting up early (thus the need for coffee).  I tend to be grumpy when I get up and it takes me a while to wake up once the alarm goes off (see #4). 

4.  I intentionally set my alarm for an hour earlier than I intend to get up.
I know it's ridiculous, but I can't seem to break the habit of setting my alarm super early and then hitting the "snooze" button over and over before I have to get out of bed.  Hitting "snooze" gives me nine more minutes of sleep.  For approximately one hour each morning, I sleep in nine minute intervals between the buzz of my alarm.   If you're counting, that means I hit the "snooze" button roughly six or seven times each morning.  Like I said, I know it's ridiculous!

5.  I hate roller coasters.
I've never really ridden a big roller coaster, so I suppose it's not all that fair to say that I hate them.  However, I've never had the desire to ride one and the thought of it makes my stomach a little queasy.

6.  I won our school spelling bee when I was in sixth grade.
I still remember the word I spelled to win -- lieutenant.  I went on to the Joplin Globe Spelling Bee, but got out in the very first round for misspelling the word "infrared."

7.  I have traveled out of the country twice.
I visited Italy when I was in college.  For sixteen days, I toured cities like Rome, Venice, Florence, and Pompeii.  It was an amazing trip!  My husband and I traveled to Mexico last summer.  We went to Cancun and enjoyed a relaxing vacation at the beach.

8.  I have broken my pinky finger on my right hand twice.
The first time was during my sophomore year of high school while playing basketball.  The second time, I was in college and was playing catch with a student at the after school program where I worked.  My finger didn't heal properly after the second break, so now it's a little crooked.

9.  I am deathly afraid of snakes.
I am absolutely terrified of these slithering reptiles.  To give you an example, just the other night my husband was watching a show on television about pythons.  I literally had to leave the room because I couldn't stand to watch the show.  Just the sight of a snake (in person or otherwise) grosses me out and sends shivers up my spine!

10.  I  am a terrible singer.
I love singing in my car, at home when no one else is around, and I sing at church, but don't expect me to break out in song anywhere else.  I have an awful voice but love music. 

2 comments:

  1. I thought I was the only person who set their clock intentionally early to avoid having to get up on the first ring in the morning! I love, love, love hitting snooze! I love it so much, that when I can't sleep sometimes, I imagine that the alarm to get up just went off...and off I doze! I get the best sleep of the night in those little nine-minute intervals. :) Fun post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Italy was a great experience! It fostered a love of international travel for me, I've been lots of places---ooh....that might make a good post! Thanks for this inspiration, this is a good list!

    ReplyDelete