Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Slice of Life: March 24 -- A Little Piece of Heaven

I drifted in and out of sleep in the early morning hours, refusing to look at the time, certain that I surely had a few more hours left to sleep.  In that foggy, hazy, fitful sleep, my alarm burst forth, jolting be back to reality.  5:15 a.m.  

I planned to get up earlier than normal and told myself to only hit snooze once, maybe twice.  Forty-five minutes later, I threw back the covers and stumbled out of bed.  Sleepy and groggy, I drudged through my morning routine.  In my forty-five minutes of snoozing, I had forgotten why I wanted to get up earlier.  As I continued the process of getting ready, I remembered the meeting I needed to finish preparing for.  I had forgotten a book at work that I needed the night before as I was preparing for my meeting, knowing now that I would have to read it quickly when I got to work.  It was then that I also remembered the copies I needed to make for my meeting, the chairs that needed stacked in the band room, and my other meeting at 8:00 with my PTO president.  I could feel my anxiety increasing as I mentally kicked myself for not getting up when my alarm went off.

I drove to work and quickly began tackling the tasks at hand.  I dropped off my briefcase in my office, threw my lunch in the freezer, and took off for the band room.  I began furiously stacking chairs, all the while watching the minutes on the clock tick by.  After twenty minutes, I headed back down the hall to my office, tired from my chair stacking, and grabbed the book from my bookshelf.  I grabbed a highlighter from my desk drawer and began reading, highlighting key points and making mental notes for my meeting.  It was then I remembered the copies I needed to make.  I quickly printed my handouts and started making the necessary copies.  Feeling even a little more frantic, I quickly stepped back into my office and noticed the little pink box sitting on my desk.  On top of it was a handwritten note from my Secret Pal, wishing my a belated happy birthday.  Lifting the box, a smile crossed my face as I read the words.  

A cupcake.  Not just any cupcake, but one of those gigantic, fancy, delicious cupcakes.  I carefully opened the box and peered inside.  I was immediately captivated by the sight and smell of the most wonderful creation.  Tucked neatly in the box was the most perfect chocolate cupcake with fluffy peanut butter icing, complete with a peanut butter cup ever so carefully placed in the frosting.  

My day was saved.  I still felt a little anxious and overwhelmed, but the sight and smell of this little piece of Heaven was enough to make me pause and give thanks.  

So thank you, Secret Pal, for making my day.  I didn't have time to eat my cupcake until after school, but I savored every bite of its deliciousness.  It was without a doubt the best cupcake I have ever eaten and it couldn't have come at a more perfect time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment