Sunday, March 29, 2015

Slice of Life: March 29 -- Smells That Make Me Smile

I'm taking a cue from Miss Collins and her post about smells that make her smile.  Here are my top ten (in no particular order):

1.  My mom's apple pie.  My mom makes the world's best apple pie.  I am sure I am slightly biased, but my mouth is watering just thinking about the smell (and taste) of my mom's apple pie hot out of the oven.

2.  Roses.  I love the smell of roses.  I suppose part of my love of this smell is because my husband frequently spoils me with a bouquet of roses on Valentine's Day, our anniversary, and sometimes for no reason at all.

3.  Christmas.  Does Christmas have a smell?  In my mind it does.  It's something like cinnamon, and pine cones, and holly, and evergreen, and spice all rolled together.  All I know is that it is one of my favorite smells to go along with one of my favorite times of year.

4.  Hamburgers and hotdogs cooking on a charcoal grill.  There is something special about the smell of food cooking on a grill, and it doesn't get any better than food cooked on a charcoal grill.  For some reason, the smell makes me think of summer and the fourth of July.

5.  New car smell.  Is it strange that this is one of my all time favorite smells?  My husband reminds me that it's simply the smell of the new plastic in the vehicle, but in my opinion, it is absolutely heavenly.  My husband just bought a new truck, and one of my favorite things is its new car smell!

6.  The ocean.  I love the smell of the salty water mixed with the sand and the hot sun.  I can almost picture the waves as I think of these smells of summer.

7.  Chocolate chip cookies.  Can you tell I love food?  I love the smell of fresh baked chocolate chip cookies.  My favorite part is eating them with a fork right after they come out of the oven.  I love the melt in your mouth flavor and the sweet smell of chocolate.

8.  Coconut scented lotion.  When my husband I went to Hawaii several years ago, our hotel provided coconut scented hand lotion.  I loved the smell so much, that I brought some home with us.  Each time I used it, it reminded me of Hawaii.  Now I frequently search for lotions with the same smell.  While I love the scent, I also love the fact that it reminds me of our vacation to Hawaii.

9.  Clothes that are fresh out of the dryer.  I love the clean, warm smell of clothes right after I take them out of the dryer.  Granted, this is the only part of doing laundry that I actually like.

10.  Baby lotion.  I love the smell of baby lotion.  There's no other smell like it.  It's sweet and fresh and wonderful all rolled into one.

No comments:

Post a Comment