Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Slice of Life: March 10 -- Little Things Make a Big Difference

I'm sure you've heard the saying, "Little things make a big difference."  It's a commonly quoted expression.  It's so frequently quoted, in fact, that I think it can sometimes lose its significance.  Sure, the big things in life, things like my family and friends, have a tremendous impact on me.  If those relationships aren't right, not much else is right, either.  I have learned, however, that little things also make a big difference.  In fact, a lot of my day is consumed with the "little things."  They are things that don't seem like a big deal, but put a positive spin on an otherwise difficult day.  They are the things that remind me of what's really important.  They are the things that bring a smile to my face.

As I sit here writing at the end of the day, I can't help but think of the little things that made a big difference to me today.  In honor of remembering the little things that make a big difference, here's a list of the little things that brightened my day:

1.  A picture of my twin nephews, Ashton and Preston.
My sister-in-law posted a new picture of my twin nephews today.  They turned eight months old yesterday.  It's so fun to see how much they have grown and changed and how they seem to be learning new things everyday.  The picture was simple, but the smiles on their faces brought a smile to mine when I really needed it.

2.  A good laugh with a couple of co-workers.
At the end of the school day, I took a few minutes to sit and visit with a few co-workers.  We didn't talk about school, but joked and laughed and forgot about the difficulties of the day.  It only lasted a few minutes, but laughter can be the best medicine.

3.  Walking my parents' dog.
I'll admit it -- I was a little irritated that I had to stop by my parents' house and walk their dog.  They were out of town today babysitting my nephews.  While it took a little time out of my busy day, walking their dog, Toby, on a beautiful March afternoon was just the stress relief I needed!

4.  Not cooking dinner.
This may seem like a really silly thing to add to the list, but on a busy day, it was nice to not worry about cooking dinner.  Granted, I ate Sonic for supper, but I enjoyed the few minutes I got to sit down, eat, and watch a little television before I headed off to a meeting.

5.  A conversation with my dad.
I talk to my dad each morning on the way to work.  It's become part of my daily routine.  Somehow it always makes me feel better (maybe I'll write more about that in a later post).

6.  Talking about my day with my husband.
My husband and I both had a busy day.  He traveled out of town for work and I had a meeting this evening.  As a result, it was 8:30 before we saw each other at the end of the day.  We didn't get a chance to talk much, but it's always nice to know I can tell him about my day and that he will listen and offer his support and encouragement.  

I am sure there are many other little things from today that I don't remember.  I think tomorrow, I will try to focus on remembering the little things that make a big difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment