Sunday, March 15, 2015

Slice of Life: March 15 -- "Bracketology"

Today marks the beginning of one of my favorite times of year.  It's the day that hopes and dreams come alive, while others are crushed and face the wait of another year before they can possibly be fulfilled.  It's the day underdogs rise to the top, victors are crowned, and relative unknowns experience their fifteen minutes of fame.  It's the time of year that analysts dissect every angle, offer every opinion, and make their picks.  It's the day that "Bracketology," as it has been named, comes into full effect.

It's March Madness.

Today the brackets were released for the NCAA men's basketball tournament.  It's the tournament that serves as the culmination of a season that began in November and will reach it's apex in early April when a champion is crowned.  During the month of March, however, madness ensues, as each game could be a team's last.  Winners get to keep playing; losers go home, as a single loss results in elimination from the tournament.  Records during the past four months no longer matter.  The slates are wiped clean as any team has a chance to claim the title.

I love this time of year.  I love the hope of an underdog team who has nothing to lose but everything to gain.  They aren't expected to win, but inevitably, one of these underdogs does the unthinkable and beats a much better team.

I love cheering on my favorite team.  I love the anticipation of the game and the adrenaline that courses through my veins as I sit on my couch, screaming at the television and jumping up and down with each great play.

I love the emotion and the energy and the excitement.  I love seeing teams rise to the occasion and make the most of the opportunity they have earned.

It's March.  It's madness.  It's one of the best time of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment