Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Slice of Life: March 2 -- My New Routine

Yesterday I mentioned my new morning routine.  Thus far I have successfully navigated through three days of this unfamiliar ritual.  Granted, some mornings have been a little less bumpy than others, and I am still adjusting to my 5:00 a.m. wake up call that arrives after a night of less than perfect sleep.

Why the new routine, new early morning alarm, and the loss of sleep?  The answer is simple and oh so complicated all at the same time.

I am a mom.  A relatively new mom.  A mom who is taking her son to daycare for the first time.  A mom, who up until three days ago, relied on her parents, who generously lived with us for eight weeks, to take care of our son when I returned to work.  A mom who was blessed (and honestly, quite spoiled) by these parents.

My morning routine didn't change much when my parents were living with us.  I was getting even less sleep than I am now, but I also didn't have to get my son ready in the morning.  I didn't have to allot time for changing him, dressing him, feeding him, and getting all his things ready for a trip to daycare each morning.  Some mornings, he was still asleep as I left for school in the early morning hours.  Other days, he had just awakened before I set out the door and I got to start my day with a few minutes of sweet baby smiles and giggles.

Now, however, my morning routine could best be described as a delicate dance.  I wake up early so I can get ready before my son wakes up, therefore giving me time to change his diaper, dress him, and feed him before placing him in the hands of my husband, who cares for him and then takes him to our daycare, which opens after I am already required to be at work.

So far, I have managed to get myself ready and my son ready in order to arrive at work on time.  I've yet to have to change my outfit or his due to spit up, I haven't spilled my coffee in my haste to run out the door, and I have yet to deal with crying, fussiness, or general discontentment (on his part or mine).  I am sure, however, that one morning I will face one or all of those challenges that will send my delicate dance spiraling out of control.  Until then, I am going to be thankful for surviving three days of my new morning routine and will savor the happy smiles and giggles I enjoy from my son as we share this new adventure together.

2 comments:

  1. You have all my admiration, new mommy!! Hang in there!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, new mommy!! You are doing a great job with your new responsibilities! I loved the line, "Now, however, my morning routine could best be described as a delicate dance." Keep dancing!!

    ReplyDelete