Saturday, March 8, 2014

Slice of Life: March 8 -- Learning to Relax

Rainy days normally don't make me smile.  Cold, rainy days are even worse.  So why am I smiling today?  It's simple.  I don't feel guilty for being lazy on a cold, rainy day like today.  I especially don't feel guilty being lazy on a cold, rainy day that also happens to include me losing an hour of sleep due to Daylight Savings Time.

I suppose I wasn't necessarily lazy today, but I certainly took time to relax.  I suppose I shouldn't feel guilty for relaxing, but when I have so much to do, I often feel guilty when I take time to be "unproductive."  The truth is, I can always find something to do.  There is always laundry to be done, something to be cleaned, a closet that can be organized, schoolwork that needs attended to.  This perpetual state of always having something that needs to be done can be exhausting.

That's why days like today make me smile.  There's something refreshing about taking a day to relax and unwind.  It's nice to sit on the couch and enjoy a movie or take a nap in the middle of the day.

In some respects, I've had to learn how to relax.  I've been used to having so much to do that sometimes it's hard to stop and take a break.  I've learned, however, that taking a break allows me to come back more refreshed and more productive.

So I plan to enjoy the rest of my cold, rainy Saturday, knowing that tomorrow and the week ahead will provide plenty of time for being productive.  The laundry can be done later, the closet door will hide the clutter, and the dishes in the sink will just have to wait one more day.

No comments:

Post a Comment