Friday, March 28, 2014

Slice of Life: March 28 -- Reliving the Glory Days

Tonight was our annual middle school fundraiser. It includes a variety of activities, but the main attraction is a basketball game between the middle school staff and the police department. It's a fun night, and one that proves profitable for our PTO, who so generously supports our students and teachers.

For me, however, tonight is the one night of the year that I relive the glory days of my youth. Each year at this time, I for some reason believe I am in high school again, playing basketball as I did almost fifteen years ago. As I sit at home now, after having played in the game, it is very obvious I am not 18 any longer. My knees are sore. I'm tired. My shots don't fall quite as easily as they used to.

Despite the ache in my knees and the tiredness, tonight was fun. While I'm reminded that I'm not in high school anymore, I also get to remember how much fun it was all those years ago to play the sport I love. For that reminder, I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment