Thursday, March 6, 2014

Slice of Life: March 6 -- The Right Pair of Shoes

I can do anything with the right pair of shoes.

If you browse the shelves of my closet, you'll see what I mean.  Some might say I have a problem, that my obsession with shoes is a bit over the top.  I disagree.  Just like a seasoned mechanic can fix just about any problem with the right tool, I tend to believe I can do anything with the right shoes.

I have shoes for every situation.  When I want to dress up, I have my high heels.  They come in many different colors and patterns.  I have brown heels, black heels, red heels, leopard print heels, plaid heels, heels that look like they're made of cork, and even fun multi-colored heels with crazy patterns.  These are my go-to shoes when I want to jazz up an outfit.

When I'm feeling more casual (or when my feet just can't handle the pain and discomfort after a full day in heels), I opt for my flats.  I have cute, dressy flats and flats that are designed just for comfort.

My tennis shoes are also some of my favorites.  I have tennis shoes in different colors and styles.  Some are more suited for running (even though I'm not a runner) or working out, but most are just for fun.

Then I have my summer shoes.  This includes my flip flops, my dressy sandals, and my all time favorite, boat shoes.  I live in my Sperry's in the summer, opting for the comfort and the fun color of these shoes.

Finally, I have what I call my "purposeful shoes."  These are my shoes that have a specific purpose and job.  My golf shoes, for example, or the shoes I wear when I work in the yard, fall into this category.

So why all this talk about shoes?  As I was thinking about what to write about today, my shoes came to mind (perhaps it's because I wore a new pair of heels yesterday).  I thought about all the different shoes I have and the funny quote about being able to do anything with the right shoes.  While that quote made me laugh, the more I thought about it, the more I began to think about how my shoes are kind of like an analogy to the different roles and responsibilities I have and how I have to use different skills in each of those roles.

My high heels won't do me much good on the golf course and I would never wear my yard shoes to work.  Each of the shoes I own have a function, a purpose, and a specific time or place to be worn.  The same is true of the different roles I play in my life.  When I'm at school, I play the role of teacher, principal, coach, evaluator, and counselor.  Even though only one of those is my "official" title, the others are roles I step in and fulfill on a frequent basis when needed.  When I'm coaching someone and trying to help them improve, I use a very different set of skills than I use when I'm evaluating someone and discussing their strengths and weaknesses.  My role as a principal requires me to sometimes assign consequences, but I often switch roles and then counsel students, trying to help them understand how to behave differently in the future.  On the other hand, outside of school, I have many different roles as well.  I'm a wife, daughter, granddaughter, sister, aunt, niece, and friend.  In each of those roles, I use different skills.  The way I interact and the conversations I have with my two year old nephew are different than those I have with my parents.  Even the way I talk and interact with my 90 year old grandmother is different than the way I talk and interact with my brother.

You play many different roles in your life as well.  Those roles require you to develop a set of skills to help you be successful.  You have to be able to communicate with different people, to know when it's time to laugh and play and when it's time to be more serious.  The way you write when you're texting your friends is different than the way you write an essay for class or even when you're writing on your blog.  Your role as a student is different than your role as a friend, son, daughter, brother, or sister.

One thing I love about my collection of shoes is the fact that I have so many different ones to choose from and so many that are just right for different situations.  My job and my life are much the same.  I love the fact that I have so many different roles I get to play each day and that I am continually faced with different situations that allow me to develop a variety of skills in order to be successful.

My challenge to you is to think about the different roles you have in your life and what you're doing to develop the skills to help you be successful.  What are you doing to be a good student, brother, sister, son, daughter, friend, etc.?  What skills have you already developed that are helping you be successful now and what skills do you need to improve upon?  Figure out those skills, hone them, and then put them into practice.

As for me, I'm going to strive to recognize the different roles I play and continue to develop the skills I need to be successful in all those situations.  And I will continue to believe I can do anything with the right pair of shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment