Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Slice of Life: March 25 -- Imparting Knowledge

Today I had the opportunity to speak to a group of college students who are majoring in education.  I absolutely loved it!  I've had several opportunities to do this in the past, but for some reason, today reminded me of how much I enjoy doing this.

There's something fun about seeing these eager, young, future teachers.  They are so excited, so happy to learn, and can't wait to soak up every bit of information I have to share with them.  My desire to share with them, however, is somewhat selfish.  As much as I enjoy helping them learn and hone the skills they need to become effective teachers, I also love being able to share my knowledge and feel blessed to be able to teach them just a little of what I have learned during my time in education.

As I reflected on my presentation, I began to ask myself why it was, exactly, that I enjoyed this opportunity so much today.  I've presented before, but for some reason, today was particularly enjoyable.  After thinking about it, I came to one simple conclusion.  Talking to this group of teachers was a distraction from some stressful situations I'm facing right now.  This is a really busy time of year, when I'm preparing for state testing, hiring new teachers for next year, and dealing with the normal day to day responsibilities of my job.  For the hour I presented today, I forgot about all those things that were weighing on my mind and was able to enjoy the moment.  I found myself in my element and for that period of time, was solely focused on sharing my knowledge with a group of people who were willing to listen to what I had to say.

The affirmation and compliments I received after my presentation served as another reminder of why I enjoy presenting so much.  It's nice to feel like you've helped someone, and it's an added bonus when you feel like you helped yourself as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment