Saturday, March 1, 2014

Slice of Life: March 1

I almost chuckled as I typed the date for my first "Slice of Life" post.  March 1st.  I know it's still winter and will be for several more weeks, but there's something about March that for some strange reason makes me think spring has arrived.  Perhaps it's the knowledge that spring break is only two weeks away.  Perhaps it's the fact that patio furniture and grilling accessories have replaced the space in the store that was once occupied by Christmas decorations and any number of heaters, fireplace tools, and other items designed to keep a person warm.  Perhaps it's the fact that my husband and I spent the afternoon discussing landscaping and the pros and cons of reseeding our lawn or buying sod.  Regardless of the reason, March makes me think of spring, which is followed by summer, which means playing golf, a vacation at the beach, trips to the lake, and time spent with family and friends.

The truth, however, is that it is still winter for several more weeks, and despite our discussions about spring planting and yard work, my husband and I, like most everyone else today, also made the fateful trip to the grocery store to stock up in anticipation of the winter storm that's headed our way.  Yes, it's March 1st, and in Missouri, that means the potential for extreme cold and any form or combination of precipitation, wintry or otherwise.

I, unlike Miss Collins, do not have a spoon under my mattress or snowflakes decorating my home.  I'm not wishing for a snow day.  If anything, I'm wishing for spring.  I'm wishing for sunshine and warm breezes instead of clouds and a stiff north wind.  I'm dreaming of eighteen holes on the golf course instead of eighteen degree days.  I'd rather be planting grass than shoveling snow.

Wish all I want, I can't control the weather.  I can't stop the cold, nor can I prevent the snow from falling from the sky.  I can, however, continue to wish for sunshine, hope for warm weather, and dream of days spent on the golf course.  I just might have to do it during a winter storm.

3 comments:

  1. Dr. Zornes, you almost had me wishing for no snow, but not quite! I loved the part of your slice where you said you were "dreaming of 18 holes on the golf course instead of 18 degree days!" I hope you get a golf day soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Zornes, I realy like that you described what spring is like to you! I love to play golf and do other outdoor activities and I am so looking forward to spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that was a great first slice for you to post I wish I would have read it sooner. I loved how you described March being the time of spring and then you ending up with wintry storms. My favorite part was when you said, "I, unlike Miss Collins, do not have a spoon under my Mattress or snowflakes decorating my home." I also liked it when you said," I'm dreaming of eighteen holes on the golf course instead of eighteen degree days." In the whole story I liked how you were describing everything you wanted as a spring day then then ending up with a winter storm on the way.

    ReplyDelete