Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Slice of Life: March 11 -- Trying Something New

It's confession time again.

I don't like change.  I never really have.  I tend to like things better when they stay the same.  I'm a creature of habit and function best when I have a routine.

I suppose that's why my interests have changed little over the years.  I like the same television shows I liked ten years ago.  I like the same sports, the same teams, the same games.  Even my food preferences have changed little over the years.  Sure, I like to try new things every once in a while (like sushi, for example), but my old standbys are what I crave most often.

That's why last year, when a friend asked me if I'd been to a musical, I hesitated.  I hesitated in my reply, not because I wasn't sure how to reply, but more because I wasn't sure why she was asking.  Was she just curious?  Was she going to tell me how she couldn't believe that I had never been to a musical?  And most importantly, was she going to ask me to go to a musical with her?

I didn't have the heart to tell her that the thought of going to a musical had never crossed my mind.  It wasn't on my bucket list.  It wasn't something that had ever interested me.  It wasn't even on my radar.  Nonetheless, I answered her question with a hesitant "No."

As for the purpose of her question, I suppose I was right on all accounts.  She was curious, she did tell me she couldn't believe I had never been to a musical, and she did invite me to a musical with her.  At this point, I became even more apprehensive.  I'm more of a sports fan.  Give me a good football game or basketball game and I'm set.  Even a concert would be nice.  I can listen to music and have a great time.  But a musical?  With singing and dancing and acting all rolled into one?  That was a bit of a stretch.

My friend quickly made it her mission to get me to a musical, and somehow, during that time, my idea about attending a musical began to change.  I became excited.  I talked to other friends who had been to musicals who assured me I would love it.  I even began to tell others about my upcoming adventure.  As the day finally arrived, I was almost giddy with excitement and anticipation.

Looking back on that experience, I've begun to wonder what made me change my mind.  What made me want to try something new?  Here's what I've discovered:

1.  It wasn't so much about going to the musical, but it was about doing something with a friend.  My friend loved musicals and had been to several.  Part of the reason my opinion changed was because I wanted to experience why my friend like musicals so much.  It helped me get to know her better and understand a little more about her interests.

2.  I knew this friend knew me well enough that she wouldn't ask me to go to something she knew I wouldn't like.  I also knew that if I told her I wasn't interested, she would have let it go and wouldn't have forced to me to do something I really didn't want to do.

3.  Perhaps this friend knew something about me that I didn't even know about myself.  Perhaps she knew I just needed to experience a musical in order to discover how much I enjoyed it.  Without her prompting, I never would have had that experience.

4.  Trying new things is fun, especially when you try them with your friends and people you care about.  Part of the fun is experiencing that "new thing" not only through your perspective, but through the perspective of someone else.

I assume the big question now is whether or not I enjoyed the musical.  No, I did not enjoy it, I absolutely loved it.  Not only was it entertaining, it was inspiring and breathtaking.  I was in awe of the talent, the special effects, the costumes.  Perhaps it was just this particular musical that inspired me, but it has opened my eyes to the possibility of others and has made me realize that maybe I do like musicals after all.

Yes, trying new things is scary.  It's challenging.  Sometimes it forces you out of your comfort zone.  But sometimes, it also helps you discover things about yourself and you just might learn to like something new!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment