Thursday, March 20, 2014

Slice of Life: March 20 -- Character Counts

"Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." ~John Wooden

I was once told that your character is more important than your comfort.  That statement made me stop and think.  What does it mean?  How is my character more important than my comfort?  After pausing and considering the statement, it began to make sense.  My character is based on who I really am.  It's reflected in the decisions I make and the way I treat others.  It manifests itself when I am faced with difficult situations.  My character can be tested.  It can be challenged.  In those situations, there are several questions that emerge.  Will I do what is right, even when it is difficult?  What if no one is looking or no one will know what I have done?  Will I stand firm in my character, even when it's not popular to do so?

That's when I must recognize that my character truly is more important than my comfort.  It's not comfortable when I have to make unpopular decisions that make others unhappy.  It's not comfortable to go against the stream and remain true to my character when others may be following the crowd in the opposite direction.  Doing what's right isn't always comfortable, but it is rewarding.  At the end of the day, it's nice to look back and know you have remained true to your character.

That's where the John Wooden quote begins to make sense, too.  Your reputation truly is based on what others think about you.  Sometimes people can get the wrong impression.  Sometimes what people think about you is based on assumptions.  However, when someone examines your character, that's when they see you for who you really are. 

My character is based on my values, morals, and the way I conduct myself.  Consistently demonstrating positive character will lead to a positive reputation.  Concern yourself, however, with focusing on your character.  It may not always be comfortable, but doing what's right feels pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment