Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Slice of Life: March 18 -- Spring Cleaning

I seem to do a lot of confessing on my blog, so I suppose it's time for another.  Let it be known, I don't like cleaning. 

One might think, judging by appearances alone, that I don't mind cleaning.  I appear organized.  My office looks tidy.  I seem to have things put together.  The truth is, however, that I stash things in desk drawers, have coffee mugs hidden under my desk out of sight, and like to hide clutter behind closet doors.  Even in my car, I'm notorious for stuffing my console and glove box full of receipts or trash, just so my car appears clean.  Out of sight, out of mind, seems to work for me. 

The other truth is, however, that this clutter drives me crazy.  I hate opening my desk drawers and seeing the clutter staring back at me.  The disorganized closet weighs on my mind.  Each day when I open my console to reach for my garage door opener, I stuff the receipts and junk back inside, vowing that I will clean it out and rid myself of the clutter.

I suppose time is a big reason that I dislike cleaning and why I accumulate clutter.  I sometimes feel as though I meet myself coming and going, arriving home late, going back to work for school events, and trying to work around my husband's busy schedule as well.  When we do have time at home, the last thing I want to do is clean house or organize the spare bedroom closet. 

This week, however, I found myself having little reason to put the cleaning off any longer.  So yesterday, I tackled the cleaning.  I organized our closet.  I picked up the clutter in the garage.  I even washed and cleaned my car.  I did all this, along with the normal dusting, sweeping, and cleaning that I do at our house on a regular basis.  I must admit, at the end of the day, when I sat down on the couch and admired my work, it felt good.  It felt nice to know my house was clean and I could enjoy the rest of my week without it weighing on my mind.  As I pulled my car in the garage, it was nice to know it really was clean and that I wouldn't be grappling with receipts and trash as I opened my console. 

Spring cleaning feels good.  No, it's not my favorite thing to do, but eliminating the clutter is refreshing.  Just don't open that one closet I haven't organized yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment