Sunday, March 30, 2014

Slice of Life: March 30 -- Smile Because it Happened

"Don't cry because it's over.  Smile because it happened."  ~Dr. Seuss

I doubt any of you will cry when a Slice of Life is over.  I certainly hope, however, that you will smile as you look back on what you have accomplished.

It's moments like these, when I see so many of you who have accomplished so much, that I, as your principal, am filled with pride and joy.  I often tell students that anything worth doing in life is hard.  The things I am most proud of in my life are those that required my perseverance, diligence, and effort.  I look back on some of those moments in my life, and to this day, the very thought of them brings a smile to my face.  I think of the day I learned I had been hired as the assistant principal at the middle school.  I can tell you exactly where I was standing and what I was doing when I received the news that my hard work and perseverance as a teacher had been rewarded with an amazing opportunity to continue to develop my skills in a leadership position.  I think of the day I walked across the stage and received my doctorate.  I'll never forget the man who shook my hand and said, "Congratulations, doctor."  Those words gave me goosebumps, as at that moment, I realized my dedication had helped me reach one of my dreams.  These are the moments that bring a smile to my face, not only because they happened, but because I recognize the diligence and effort that was required to make those moments possible.

As a result, I recognize that a Slice of Life has been hard.  It's been much more challenging than I could have imagined.  But that's what has made it great and that's what makes me smile.  My hope is that you will smile, too.  My hope is that you will have discovered in yourself the confidence and the knowledge that you can do something you may have not believed you were capable of doing.  My challenge to you is to remember that feeling, to use the lessons you have learned from this endeavor to help you in the future.

As I look back on my own posts, I see how my writing has evolved and how many different topics I wrote about.  A Slice of Life has given me the chance to be a blessing to others.  It's given me the chance to offer inspiration and encouragement.  It's given me the chance to take everyday details of my life and use them to hopefully motivate others.  It's even been a blessing to me on days when I needed encouragement of my own.  I've offered humor, laughed about my golf game, told stories from my youth, and have shared some of my favorite quotes.  It's truly been a journey and one that I am proud of.

So my message to you, on the next to last slice of this journey, is to be proud of what you have accomplished.  I'm sure you won't cry on April 1st when you don't have to write a slice.  I know I won't.  But I know that I will be smiling.  I won't be smiling because it's over.  No, I'll be smiling because a Slice of Life happened.  I'll be smiling because I will have accomplished a goal I set for myself.  I'll be smiling because I had the chance to share it with all of you.  And finally, I'll be smiling because I know someday I will look back and remember this month and the lessons I learned from a Slice of Life.




2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete